There is no cost for classes, events and retreats at IMC. Donations are welcome. No pre-registration is required unless otherwise stated.
- For a calendar of retreats and all other events at IMC, see the IMC Calendar
- Subscribe to IMC Special Events Calendar
9-MONTH Dharma Practice Day – Mindfulness of Breathing (2015-2016)
TAUGHT BY Gil Fronsdal
A 9-month program focusing on the development of Anapanasati, Mindfulness of Breathing. Meditation on breathing is one of the most common forms of meditation in Buddhism. The program will be based on the Anapanasati Sutta which details the Buddha’s instructions for using the breath as a means to develop the entire path of meditation practice. It is a practice that develops insight, the 4 Foundations of Mindfulness, the 7 Factors of Awakening and ultimately Liberation. A combination of meditation, teachings, and discussions. You may attend any part of the series.
2015-16 MEETING DATES AT IMC (all are on Friday from 9:30am-3:30pm)
9/11, 10/9, 11/6, 12/4, 1/22, 2/19, 3/18, 4/15, 5/13
9-MONTH EIGHTFOLD PATH PROGRAM (2015-2016)
TAUGHT BY CHRIS CLIFFORD, BRUNI DAVILA & KIM ALLEN.
The Buddha’s most explicit path of practice is the Eightfold Path. This is a set of eight practical approaches to bring Buddhist practice into the width and depth of our lives. The Eightfold Path Program is an introduction to each of the Eightfold factors so that participants can discover how to apply each set of practices in ways that are personally meaningful. Pre-requisite: completion of IMC’s 5-week Introduction to Meditation course or the equivalent. The program has the following elements:
- 2-1/2 hour monthly group meetings that include teachings, meditation, and discussions.
- Readings, reflections and practices for each month.
- A monthly one-hour personal meeting with an Eightfold Path mentor to discuss one’s practice and reflections on the Eightfold Path factors.
- Ends with a one-day Eightfold Path retreat at the Insight Retreat Center in Scotts Valley (Saturday June 18th, 2016, 9:30AM – 4:30PM).
2015-16 MEETING DATES AT IMC (all are on Sunday from 1:00-3:30pm)
- Oct 4 Introduction to the Path
- Oct 25 Right View
- Nov 22 Right Intention
- Dec 13 Right Speech
- Jan 10 Right Action
- Feb 14 Right Livelihood
- March 13 Right Effort
- April 10 Right Mindfulness
- May 22 Right Concentration
- June 18 Daylong retreat at IRC
Application for the program with a personal mentor.
Please apply before September 15, 2015. Spaces for personal mentoring may be limited. Mentors will be assigned during October. Anyone (with or without a mentor) is welcome to attend the public meetings above.
The Dharma Mentoring Program is for someone with the intention to support others explicitly using the dharma as the guide and framework. The ideal candidate is someone who has benefitted from their own dharma practice and, out of gratitude wishes to share the Dharma with others. The program provides the opportunity to train in Dharma mentoring with other like-minded individuals. A Dharma Mentor has been trained to meet individually with people to support their personal Dharma practice, study, and reflection.